Please, please, please, I beg of you...
decide right now that you’re going to enjoy the shoot. Just tell yourself that it’s going to be great and don’t let yourself be stressed about it before, during or after our session. Just don't. Ok, easier said than done, but I’m going to help. For starters, you don't need to tell the kids to say cheese or look at the camera. I'll take care of the kids and promise to tell you if I need help. I go at their pace and take extra time if needed. To be honest, I kinda need to take over a bit so that I can get everyone doing what I need them to. And just a warning, I might also ask you to do something weird... just go with it. What do you have to lose? It might be super weird and not turn out, but at least we'll get a good laugh along the way.
I want to sincerely capture your connections and love for each other, so the more you interact as if I’m not there, the better. I get that it’s a little awkward at first, but if you shake off the jitters and bring some energy to the session it’s gonna be pure MAGIC!
Ugh. Picking outfits. Been there, done that (as you can see by my family photo right there!!).
It’s THE WORST. Right?!?! Here’s what I know... No one wants to look like they tried too hard, but no one wants to look like a slob. There's this little sweet spot in the middle that we're all looking for. So you gotta try a little, but can’t overdo it.
So, the first thing you’re going to do is let mom pick out an amazing outfit that makes her feel beautiful. Then everyone else is going to get dressed in something that works with her outfit. Easy peasy!
Ok ok ok, still not so easy. Here are some other things that usually work/don’t work. They aren’t hard and fast rules as much as they are food for thought.
SAY YES TO:
-textures - ruffles, tweed, thick knit, etc
- fitted clothing. Baggy clothes tend to just make you look bigger than you are
- maxi dresses and long skirts for mom. They’re kinda the perfect balance between looking gorg and still being able to move around
- layers! The camera loves accessories, scarves, cardigans, tights, vests, etc. Those things can really take a nice outfit and make it something special
- a little extra makeup. The camera dulls makeup just a tad, so a little bit of extra oomph helps!
- patterns. Who was it that told people they couldn’t wear patterns in photos? I’ve got a bone to pick with them! Florals, stripes and dots (among other things) are all wonderful, interesting details that add interest to your look!
- bare feet (one less wardrobe item to pick out!)